Tuesday, October 7, 2014

We Heeded Them Not

This was another post I put up on Facebook:
"I thought this was a great thought for tonight from 1 Nephi 8:31-34. It seems pretty applicable.
31 And he also saw other multitudes feeling their way towards that great and spacious building.
32 And it came to pass that many were drowned in the depths of the fountain; and many were lost from his view, wandering in strange roads.
33 And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not.
34 These are the words of my father: For as many as heeded them, had fallen away." (1 Nephi 8:31-34, LDS.org) 
There's a lot of crazy things happening in the world right now. There's a lot of people calling evil good and good evil. Yesterday same sex marriage became legalized in Utah. Many people celebrate it. Many people point their fingers at the "religious folk" and mock. Many others listen to them and wander off. 
Everything I have learned about God compels me to believe in marriage between a man and a woman, to hold the family as a sacred vehicle for returning to heaven, and to share what I believe with others. 
Sharing what I believe on this topic has become scary for me. Almost every time I state my belief there is some one decrying my "close mindedness". That is fine. If I am closed to the idea of a course, that in my belief, carries a person far from the path I believe God intended, then that's my choice. 
The problem comes for us when we begin to heed the voices of the world that encourage behavior (of any type) that we know is in conflict with the plan of our Father in Heaven. There are so many of these detracting voices. They mock. They put down any type of religious belief. They call names. They get courts and judges on their sides. 
This conference came at a good time. We need to be peaceful people, but we need to stand for our beliefs. I am not going to pick a fight with anybody. I don't like that contention, I don't need it in my life. BUT...and that's a big "but"...I am not going to change or alter my beliefs that I have sacrificed, fought, and defended because of a popular idea or opinion. This road we are on scares me. Many people will say, "There's nothing to be afraid of! Nothing bad is going to happen." 
Okay. 
Sure.
I just worry about families, and individuals, and their future happiness. Perhaps it is none of my business, but there are many roads in life that lead to dead ends, and I believe that what I witnessed in Utah (and across the nation) is a dead end, but that's just my belief. So don't hate me. 
I am grateful for God. I am grateful for what I have because of Him. I feel like I owe Him something. Some people may ask if I really know Him. I think I do. I have seen evidence of Him in my life. I feel like I have been blessed over and over by Him. Because of that I think He deserves my loyalty. So I commit according to my belief and experience. We cannot know Him unless we try Him and His commandments. Do I do this perfectly? Nope. But I hope I am doing better and better. He's merciful. 
So if I don't heed the world out there, it's nothing personal. I don't want to fight. I just believe in another way...and betraying that, despite my imperfection, is worse than death to me. 

No comments: