Friday, October 17, 2014

Getting Prayer to Work

President Eyring shared some thoughts on prayer from the 1st Presidency Message this month that will help it be more effective in our lives:
"For prayer to work in our lives, the rules are simple. We must ask to know what is true by praying to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ. We must ask with a sincere heart, which means we must have an honest intent to do whatever God’s answer requires of us. And our real intent must spring from our faith in Jesus Christ."
"The investigator who reads the Book of Mormon before being baptized and confirmed may receive both an assurance that the book is true and a witness that Joseph Smith translated it by the power of God. After being confirmed a member of the Church, we can have the Holy Ghost as our companion to confirm other truths. Then, whenever we pray in faith, we can expect that the Holy Ghost will testify to us that Jesus is the Christ, that God the Father lives, and that They love us and all of Heavenly Father’s children."
Too many times, I rush through my prayer. Too many times I am half asleep and babbling whatever comes into my mind before I get ready for the rest of the day. 
I know Heavenly Father appreciates the effort, but I can do so much better and make it so much more worthwhile. 
Despite my weakness with prayer at times, I have had other experiences that have been powerful, moving, and have brought me closer to my Heavenly Father. Those are the times that I am in wonder that Heavenly Father loves me. He loves my family. He is concerned about our direction and safety in our lives. He doesn't want this mortal life to be a bad experience, and He will help to make it better. 

No comments: