Friday, October 10, 2008

It's a Girl! (and random Conference thoughts...)


Well. I am excited that we are having a girl! You can read all about it on Jenna's blog, but I just wanted to make a quick post here and tell everyone who reads (all two of you) that I am quite excited. I am hoping Dallin makes the adjustment well. He is such sweet boy and I think he will do well. I am also hoping that I do well with the change from one to two children. Again I think things will go well. I have had a couple experiences before today where I have felt strongly that we were having a girl and it was nice to have those experiences confirmed. I really believe the Lord will help prepare us for things if we are listening and trying to stay in tune (As imperfect as that trying is...) 
While I am at it, I wanted to say that I really enjoyed General Conference last weekend. We were in Cedar with my family, which was really nice. Steve and Lindsey were down, as well as Laura, and we also were able to see Jared, Judy, and James. I really appreciate my family much more these days, perhaps it is because I don't see them as much, but whatever the reason, I enjoy their company and I am grateful for my parent's sealing. I must also add that I was able to visit a while with my good friend Sam, he has always been one of my best friends and it was good to see him and his wife. They are a great couple. I hope they realize that!
Back to conference, sometimes I get a bit depressed and maybe a little stressed from conference, not because the messages are bad by any means, but because I realize I don't measure up to what I want to be. This year I was able to look through "new eyes" and feel a little more of the love that our leaders have for us. They need to motivate us to be better and see the error of many of our ways, but they also know that the Lord doesn't want us to run faster than we have strength, but to be diligent to the end. Diligence, repentance, and a good heart will get us there.
Anyway. Things seem to be going well in our lives here in Southern Utah. We really are excited about our new baby and the new challenges with that. We also feel that our family is growing more in the gospel, which is really rewarding when it is trying to be achieved for the right reasons...peace, service, and unity. I don't think my motives are always pure for living the gospel (sometimes I worry too much about what people think), but I know my motivations are becoming better and are becoming more sincere day by day through scripture study and continued missionary goals.
I also realize the importance of my own agency in bringing the gospel into my life. I can hear the word, but it's my choice of what to do with it. I do not believe in blindly following, but I do trust and know good uplifting advice when I hear it...and I heard it this last weekend!
Oh...back to the topic of this  post. I am really excited to have a daddy's little girl, to go with daddy's little boy. As our family continues to grow I really hope I can set the right example for them. I see all the time in school and in extended family how the choices parents make influence the strength of gospel commitment in our descendants. We cannot say or think that what we do does not effect those we love, especially those in our family. If I don't teach my children the gospel...who is? That is something that weighs constantly on my mind, especially when the reality of more children sets in. I know the Lord helps us along the way, I am grateful for that, but I know my effort is also required. I have a faith filled vision for my families future, but the way to achieving that vision requires some diligence and hard work on my part. Thankfully I have a wife who helps with much of these things and who helps make my job as a father, husband, and priesthood leader, much lighter and much, much more fulfilling!

6 comments:

Valeri Crockett said...

Congratulations on having a girl Jeff. You are going to be a great dad to a little girl! Those are awesome pictures of Fall. It always reminds that change is good just like adding some color to the trees just is awesome. I liked your thoughts on conference. I definitely felt how much the leaders of the church love us and care about what is going on in our lives this conference. We are going the "surprise" route with this baby. I have a feeling it is a boy. . . we'll see:) Take Care!

Jessie said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog, Jeff. You have some very inspiring and though-provoking words here. Thanks for your insights. Congrats on a girl!

Ragan said...

You are going to be a great Second-Time, Girl Daddy!

Preston and Kristin said...

Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

Crawfords said...

Jeff - I think you have more reader's than you let on. Congratulations on your new little girl. You're awesome!

Jessica said...

Your thoughts on teaching and your comments on conference made me think again about our new Mia Maid in our little branch. She's come to us with a troubled background and therefore has serious self-worth issues. We have been praying and fasting as to how we can reach her before any more damage can be done. Anyway, your thoughts reminded me of what a good friend of mine was telling me that we need to "teach by faith, not by fear". This is what the prophets do, and not because they're trying to make us feel bad or unworthy, but because they love us and we need to hear what they have to say. We need to hear what the LORD has to say! Anyway, as always, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I always enjoy reading them!