Thursday, October 16, 2008

Teachers

I am always thinking of ways to improve as a teacher. I realize I may think of this more than some other people because of my job, but I feel very strongly that each of us teaches and needs to be a teacher. Parents. Community workers. Anytime we interact with others we are teaching.
We were having a discussion last night with a good friend of our family's here in Orderville. She said that she couldn't have been a classroom teacher like myself or her mom. Initially she had said something about not being able to handle a "classroom situation" very well. This can definitely be true for many people, and trust me, I don't blame them some days! Then she talked about how she loved teaching horse-riding in our community, and of course we knew she was a teacher. Our friends are great teachers. This is Bruce teaching his daughter to beat a pinata!A lot of us teach by what we post in our blogs and in our conversation with others. Jenna was making fruit leather last night and she had been taught by Valerie Crockett and other websites how to achieve success. I am pretty sure she was successful...
Everytime we say something, something is taught, intentional or unintentional. Our experiences come out, lessons learned and our attitudes regarding life are expressed. Our convictions to ideal principles and their reliability in successfully guiding our lives are also exposed.
Parents are excellent examples of teaching correct principles. I can't think of my father without feeling his desire to live faithfully to the Lord, his service in the church, faithful hometeaching and his example of hard work to keep on the straight and narrow road. I can't think of my mother without remembering her love of family history and the lessons there as well as the patience and love she has for her kids. They are not perfect individuals, but I believe that their sincerity is perfect in trying.
Some may express disbelief in some areas, they are still teaching. Truth would uncover their words and teach us that what they really mean is that in some way they have felt betrayed or let down. Some express unbelief in God. I don't think this teaches that He doesn't exist but a truth that they have lost trust in Him, and have jumped to an unsatisfactory conclusion. In some ways it may be that persons way of trying to "be somebody", of garnering attention, sadly this illusion can lead others into error. It seems that our ego can be very influential in determining what we want to believe regardless of it's foundation. A desire to be special can cause some to teach and do things to draw attention to themselves. Behind almost every radical principle being taught is a person who has vain ambition, or is struggling with their true identity and is seeking to belong.
I believe, however, that most of us are teaching things that are good and uplifting. I look around myself at school and realize I am surrounded by excellent teachers, not just those with the title teacher either. Though I must say, I don't know of a bad teacher in my school.
When it comes to the Art of Teaching, I believe this is something that must be cultivated. I feel very blessed to be in situation where I can practice this daily. At times I wonder if anything is happening to influence others to learn and make correct decisions, then someone will say something or respond to something that increases my faith in my own ability and encourages me forward. I am glad that teaching is a skill that can always be improved upon. Their are so many facets to be aware of that it is a never ending task, I am glad for this, because although it is challenging, it is also very, very rewarding.
I think it goes without saying that Christ is the Master Teacher. I don't know exactly how he was able to manage it all. I know for one thing that it wasn't just about skill. He had and has the ability to make us look inward and examine ourselves without feeling damned. He had plenty of "skill", but he wasn't setting himself up as a "look at me" kind of teacher. I think the defining trait of his teaching was his charity for those around him. He loved them. It wasn't a fake, "Oh I love you guys", kind of love, but a sincere love that could look into each person's soul and see all of the good, and all of the hurt, all of the misconception, and anger. Sometimes whether they liked it or not! He took that understanding of each person and was able to direct to them the lessons they needed. Another thing was that he was patient and gave people the time they needed even when some of his followers tried to tell people he needed a break!
As usual I have written all this and now I have to come up with a point. My point is...obvious isn't it?
Before I finish up here, I have to say that Jenna, has been a great teacher for me. I came to her very judgmental in many ways, of other people and of myself. She has taught me through example to let go of a lot of things. I have many "counseling sessions" with her that allow me to maintain my sanity. I think that is one reason the Lord said, "It is not good that man should be alone." She is very patient with my insecurities and gives me very sound advice. She is very good with her kids at school. Most importantly, she is teaching Dallin what he needs to know to be successful in his life. He is becoming a very wonderful person and this is because of the time and energy Jenna puts into his growth, spiritually, socially, and physically. I try to do some work with him when I am home, but thank goodnes for Jenna.
Even Dallin is already teaching. Me: Patience, love and how to have fun. Jenna: Patience, love, dealing with frustration (!), and how to have fun. And James our nephew: How to clean.
So men, not only are our wives ridiculously cute, they are amazing teachers, and busting their hineys to help our families grow toward the ideal!
And we will keep going won't we!

3 comments:

Jenna Marie said...

Honey... I read your whole blog!! :) You're such a great teacher to your kids, to Dallin, to me, and all those around you. I'm always so proud to say that you're a teacher! I love you so much! Thank you for doing so much for our family! :)

Mark and Kyra Herbst said...

Thanks for this post... It gave me a lot to chew on so to speak. Teaching involves so many facets, and we would all do well to remember that whenever we are with others we are teaching.

Jamie said...

Hey!! I am finally caught up! I have now read all your posts! You have written a lot lately- and while I am sad I fell behind I truly enjoyed reading through all the posts- learning and growing. Thanks teach!!

From Sam & Jamie