Friday, June 12, 2009

Testimony

Well. Jenna and I are giving talks in church this Sunday. The topics are Joseph Smith and Testimony. Jenna's going to cover Joseph Smith and I am going to address Testimony. So of course, as soon as this assignment was given, my mind started trying to organize thoughts about testimony and just what it is.
First. I think that there are two parts to testimony. (Well, AT LEAST two...) First we all think about the question, do I have a testimony? Is it strong enough? How should I share it. Part of testimony is a very, very personal thing that involves the gaining and sharing of it. Not only do we need to gain the testimony but the testimony needs to be of truth. We go about gaining a testimony much as Alma described in Alma 32. We plant the seed-the idea. We nourish the seed through study and obedience to the principles we are working on. If the seed is good it grows. Simple right? I have seen this process work on any number of gospel principles. Tithing. Fasting and Fast Offerings. Repentance. Missionary work. Faith. Temple Work and Ordinances. Chastity. Charity. Baptism. Celestial Marriage. All of these things have proven to produce good fruit in my life and as long as I continue to nourish them, they stay healthy and strong and guide my life.
The second part of testimony that I probably don't think about as much but is crucial to its development is listening and heeding the testimony of others. Especially those ordained as our leaders. Prophets. Apostles. Seventy. Stake Presidents. Bishops. Relief Society Presidents. Our teachers. These persons have been given authority in many instances to teach us. Those who bear powerful testimony of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith, as well as other gospel principles are adding strength to our testimonies. The responsibility we have is to be hearers of the word and then doers.
I find myself worrying often if I am keeping my testimony strong enough. I think the reason this is such a concern is because a testimony is alive. When I get busy with life, sometimes I feel like I haven't given it the attention it needs. Feeding it and nourishing it every day will keep it alive. Sharing it with others will keep it alive and nourish another's testimony. I have noticed that those who lose testimony have usually done something or aligned themselves with someone or something that is contrary to gospel principles. They begin to question and apostatize. I believe it is okay to ask questions. That is how we learn. But the intent of those questions must be pure.
Anyway. Some thoughts for me to ponder. I hope the talk goes well, if not at least I learned something!

5 comments:

Ragan said...

How did it go? Talking in church is one of the scariest things for me. I'm sure you did an amazing job though!

Jeff Corry said...

It went really well. I ended up using a talk by President Packer called "The Candle of the Lord". It hit everything I needed to say in a much more eloquent fashion. I had to sing for Relief Society also that day, so it was kind of stressful. The singing was the most stressful though. Giving a talk isn't so bad for me anymore, but that's probably related to my job...

Crawfords said...

I'm sure you did great. I too had to speak in church this past Sunday. My topic was temples and they asked for 15 minutes. Just as the meeting started and I was the only one on the stand, Bishop looks back and asks, "Can you go for 40 minutes?" Luckily the other adult speaker finally showed, though the youth speaker still bailed. Try as I might I could only muster about 25 minutes so we ended a bit early.

Valeri Crockett said...

I bet your talks went great!

Jeff Corry said...

We were out early too. Our sacrament meeting is last...
Nobody complained.