Monday, December 15, 2008

December 15, 2008- Thinking, Thinking, Thinking...

Well. I am still alive. I haven't had too much to say lately as far as blogging goes, so...nothing has been posted.
School is going pretty well for me, but that time right before Christmas and after Thanksgiving is pretty crazy...and quite stressful as there is a lot to get done right before the break. Thankfully the break lasts from Dec. 19-Jan 5. It will be quite nice I think. Thanks giving, by the way, was a really fun time for us.
We have had a lot happening, and Jenna has posted some of it. We are going to St. George tomorrow night for an ultrasound Wednesday morning to make sure everything is going well with our baby, the doctor wasn't too worried, but it is a follow-up to make sure.
We had some young men come to our house selling life insurance plans from Primerica last weekend. The sad thing to me was that I am actually at a point in my life where I can see the wisdom in life insurance. It's a yucky thought. The last thing I want is to actually have to "cash in" the insurance, because we know what that means. But, it would also be wise to have a plan "just in case." Ugh.
In other news, my Uncle Bob has been dealing with cancer, and while this doesn't fall as close to home for me as it does for his kids, it is still quite sobering. I think he is doing pretty well, and I hope all continues to improve. He has been a good influence in my life. I have always admired the way that he has raised his family and think he was privy to great wisdom that way. He is also a great coach.
I guess life isn't meant to be all good times. But, even difficult times, open paths for future opportunity.
I know God is aware of what is going on for us all. I don't think He will always intervene (though He does often...) and give us what we want. I don't think we really understand what we really want sometimes, and I am guilty of that quite often. I think He will direct us to what would be best for us to want. Ultimately as long as we make our life here a success and fill it with service to others I think in the end we will be quite happy. Thinking about dying someday scares me. (Please don't think anything is wrong with me, I am actually quite healthy as are my family members...) Mostly because I want to be the one to takes care of my family and I would like to live a good long life. I don't think I am alone in that. Trials scare me. But there is peace,and I know I have always been supported and will continue to be. In some ways I feel quite spoiled. I don't feel like I am the "ultimate" at anything, but I feel that I have been more than blessed for my efforts.
At Christmastime this comes at me full force. I feel like a brat really. I have this list of things that I want, and can probably achieve, and yet there are many people living around me struggling to make ends meet, especially with the current recession. I am grateful for a stable job and a great community. Our ward has really been a blessing to us. I am glad I paid the price to attend SUU and find out what I needed to be doing. It was just the right thing for me. I am not as "educated" as others out there, and I don't think I am done, but I am grateful for the opportunities I have had, and feel really blessed and happy to be starting on this road.I suppose mostly this time of year, I am very, very grateful I have a little family to take care of. Jenna and Dallin shower me with much more love than I deserve. I am so happy to be able to have them in my life (and a new girl soon!) I interact with lots of people everyday...and I am never as happy as I am when I am at home with my family. I am glad it lasts forever, I am grateful for a personal witness stronger than someone else's testimony. It brings a lot of peace in trying times.
So...at Christmas, I hope anyone who reads this post feels grateful for what they have and tries to give time, talents, or gifts to those in need. I think President Monson's devotional/Ensign message were very timely for many of us who are doing so well, when many others are struggling. The Lord say, "Whoever shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it." It is true. It gives hope to us so we can deal with all the other things happening out there. It helps me work through some of my own personal struggles and discouragements. Service to others and trust in God are really the way to a happy heart and a peaceful life regardless of our circumstances, worries, or fears.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Great Post Jeff! I loved reading about your thoughts, it gives me an example. Happy new years!