I read a talk this morning by Elder David B. Haight that left a positive impression on me and help me refine my desires for what I want to leave my posterity. I'll post what I share on Facebook and hope that it is useful to some one who needs these words:
![]() |
| This is probably past 1998, but you get the gist! |
I have been reading in the archives of older LDS General Conferences and kind of settled on April 1998. It was a pretty big year in my life with my missionary service beginning and this conference was given the month I went to the MTC.
![]() |
| Elwood Corry, my grandfather, left a great legacy to learn from. My father continues to do the same. I have great examples in my life. |
There were a few sections of Elder Haight's comments that made a positive impression on me and I wanted to share.
He had been talking about a boy (at the time) named Kevin Campbell, and how Kevin had written him a letter asking him how life was. So of course, Elder Haight responded:
"I would say to Kevin Campbell, bless his heart, life is wonderful. And the only way I can describe it is that I have been blessed all of my life, and I have been blessed with challenges and opportunities and questions and problems that are part of life. But life is wonderful if we live the simple principles that we have been taught and if we live the way that we know we should live. One of those wonderful blessings we have in our old age is the blessing of having more time with our children and their children and their children, to have that opportunity to assemble and to be with them."
He had been talking about a boy (at the time) named Kevin Campbell, and how Kevin had written him a letter asking him how life was. So of course, Elder Haight responded:
"I would say to Kevin Campbell, bless his heart, life is wonderful. And the only way I can describe it is that I have been blessed all of my life, and I have been blessed with challenges and opportunities and questions and problems that are part of life. But life is wonderful if we live the simple principles that we have been taught and if we live the way that we know we should live. One of those wonderful blessings we have in our old age is the blessing of having more time with our children and their children and their children, to have that opportunity to assemble and to be with them."
| This guy is an amazing grandfather to our children. |
Near the end of the talk Elder Haight also expressed his hopes for his posterity, which I share:
"So I would hope that our own children, as the generations go on, would know of their heritage, to know who they are and to know that they had fathers who believed and to know that they had fathers who were challenged, that they had fathers who had investigated and who had been out in the world declaring the truth—not in just quoting scriptures—but feeling it in their hearts and souls that what we do is true."
"So I would hope that our own children, as the generations go on, would know of their heritage, to know who they are and to know that they had fathers who believed and to know that they had fathers who were challenged, that they had fathers who had investigated and who had been out in the world declaring the truth—not in just quoting scriptures—but feeling it in their hearts and souls that what we do is true."
Elder Haight ends with this challenge for us:
"Brothers and sisters, live the commandments. Do what is right. Take advantage of this great opportunity in your life to live it well, to be good, to have good works, and to influence other people for good. The gospel is true. I hope that every day of my life I might be able to do some good and to encourage somebody to live a better life and to understand what has been restored to the earth. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
"Brothers and sisters, live the commandments. Do what is right. Take advantage of this great opportunity in your life to live it well, to be good, to have good works, and to influence other people for good. The gospel is true. I hope that every day of my life I might be able to do some good and to encourage somebody to live a better life and to understand what has been restored to the earth. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
| More precious than gold. |


No comments:
Post a Comment