It is kind of a bitter sweet experience so far. I suppose I thought I would be more excited and relieved that I have finished my Master's Degree. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to be done and I am proud that I did a good job, it's just that I have had such a good ride during this set of schooling and I have grown in many ways. Not only that but I have been able to interact with people in my communities (yes...plural) in more ways than I was able to before. I have gained an appreciation for those who are running the educational program in our area.
| This girl LOVES the spotlight. Her dad? Not so much. |
Back to graduation.
Jenna is going all out for me. She always does. I am grateful she turns these things into celebrations. I may grumble about the attention and the stress of an 'event' but she adds her special touch and it makes me feel important, even when I'd rather sit with my back against the wall and watch everyone else rather than be in the front. Family has also been so supportive. We couldn't have paid for this without help from a very special lady to Jenna and I (I'll leave her anonymous, because that's how she'd want it).
There actually isn't much else to say except that: I am going to miss schooling. It's a bit weird. Last time I graduated (2005) I was VERY ready to be done. This time however, something clicked. School/Education became a sort of quest and I realized that becoming educated is one of the main purposes of this life. Not just religiously, which I believe is the most important education, but also educated in the world around us in how things work, in the sciences, mathematics, vocations, and about anything else that is of value (most likely determined by what good can be contributed to the world, perhaps a matter of opinion on some subjects...).
| Thanks for your help Jenna! |
I believe that receiving education for the sake of education is important, but that is not the true purpose of education. Education is for the purpose of bettering ourselves and those around us. Because of education we can educate others. With that we prepare ourselves and other for a better, more capable, future. The world pays us for what it thinks we are worth to paraphrase Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley. He is right. It isn't just about the paycheck though (which is nice) it is about being capable and credible.
I think I know a lot of people who toy with the idea of going back to school. They know they should, they kind of want to, but the thought of the commitment is frightening. Believe me that's exactly how I felt before I started. In fact it was because of a Priesthood Blessing from a very good friend that I finally was motivated enough and found the courage to plunge into my Master's. I needed a small push. It must have been the right choice. As soon as I committed to it, things became better for me and my family. There were still hard times and some of them were due to the education process, but overall I changed. The Lord blessed us...and we have a new future full of more possibilities.
To anyone considering more education: Do it. You will not be able to do it all in one day, but day by day plugging away and you will find yourself happy that you did. Some days may not feel that way, but the inner feeling of fulfillment and knowing that you are accomplishing something will strengthen you. In my case I went to the Lord over and over again to get through and sometimes to get a vision of what to do. I received many blessings, I consider myself very weak and I rely on the Lord to get me through. But...I'm through...and I am graduating.
It's bittersweet. But mostly sweet.
| It's time to play! |
But a little rest is in order...for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment