Saturday, January 21, 2012

Insanity Does Have a Good Side!

It's been a good week. It has also been a crazy week. Internships and school dominate my daily life. I enjoy them immensely.
The past month has been good also. There have been some ups and downs, but overall it has been a really positive time for our family.
We found out (well...a sure confirmation anyway) on January 8, 2012 that our baby on the way is a boy. I am glad for this, not because it matters either way, we love our children regardless of being boys or girls, but I am glad because of some feelings I had felt and this was a nice confirmation that I wasn't too crazy.
Though...I am crazy...and maybe a bit insane.
I'll admit that before anyone else.
If anybody understands an internship it's the guy to my left!
I am sure all of us have our episodes of crazy. We do too much. We're tired and overwhelmed. Bad things happen. We watch others live their lives and know WE'D do it differently. We aren't as organized as we feel we could be. There are a million things that can add to our feeling a little bit nuts.
Is this a bad thing? I don't know if it is entirely, I think it is in the handling of these crazy/stressful episodes that we find out what we are capable of. It also gives us an opportunity to ask for help. From others. From God. Help seems to always come. Whether in the form of a friend. A spouse. A son or daughter. Or peace from our Heavenly Father in our hearts that things will work out. They always do.
Reach out.
The 'best' results are not always what we have planned, but often times on the other side of the trial, or struggle, or insanity (in my case) things are better than I could have planned. Much better. So much so that often I realize that I couldn't have dreamed up anything so good for myself. The Lord knows what we really need. I know this because many of my own plans have turned over in my life and when I got to the "other side of crazy" I could look back and see the hand of the Lord and the new blessings in my life. Material blessings? Sure sometimes. Spiritual insight and a greater comprehension of my purpose on earth? Absolutely, almost every time if I will just look and see.
My internship experience has been one of these experiences. It has been quite difficult on certain, very, very long days. But I think of myself before I returned to school and I am glad I have made some improvements in my life and profession. The Lord knew I could be so much more, I just had to trust him. He has helped me every step of the way, directly, or through other people.
Some of my support team. Can't forget the lady taking the picture!
One of the blessings of these hard things we go through, this little bit of crazy, is that we come out with a greater understanding of ourselves, our God, and those around us. I believe that if we allow it-Charity for our fellowman (and woman) can be one of the greatest results of difficult times. What greater gift is there? None that I am aware of. Moroni 7: 46 states: "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—" I believe that while charity is a gift from God that we must pray for, it is also given opportunity to blossom as we deal productively with our own crazy lives. He can turn these hard things into a gift that we can use to benefit the lives of others. We may not experience exactly the same things, but we can love more and more as we learn more about His love. 
Ann knows how to capture my greatest mortal supporter! 
So. Yes, it has been a little crazy this last week, but I have felt the love I have for those people around me at work and home increase. How can it not increase when I have children who can tell when something is wrong and who tell me they love me? Or when I have a wife who takes the time to discuss my craziness and who listens, parents who still have incredible concern, and friends who can tell when I am struggling and approach me about it. These people around me and around us are a part of those angels who comfort us and who are sent from God. They listen to him, whether they realize it or not, and do His will to help me and those around them. 

1 comment:

Judy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is crazy in the family!! I hope things will get less crazy for you soon! I bet it has been hard having so many things to do and try to keep your sanity at the same time. it will be worth it in the end though!