Sunday, July 17, 2011

Today and Lehi's Dream

Practical application. That's what we are taught to do with the scriptures. Today I was reading Lehi's account of his dream. I have read it before. Many, many times. It stood out more powerfully to me today. I think a lot of it has to do with my concern over people not only accepting the gospel, but living it and staying true to it afterwards. Nothing changes lives more profoundly than the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Nothing is sweeter. Nothing can bring about a change of heart in the same way.
Yet, it is a hard thing for people to fully embrace sometimes. It doesn't matter to them that it will bring a fullness of joy, or that life will become easier in many aspects because of the safety following Jesus brings. I am not immune from some of these same problems, even as a baptized member who wants to live the gospel fully. There are things I don't want to do because I am more comfortable the "way I am". Thankfully the Lord does not give up on any of us. Ever.
In Lehi's dream we are given symbolism that illustrates many situations that we see in people's acceptance of the gospel. We have those like Lehi, who lead others to the tree of life, or the gospel. We have others, who are invited and hold to the rod all the way to the tree of life. We have others, like Laman and Lemuel, that look at the Lehi's like they are crazy and won't even consider the gospel. There are also people feeling their way to the great and spacious building who could care less about the gospel. Lastly there are those who partake of the fruit, last for a while and then leave, ashamed that they were members of the church.
Mists of darkness arise for us all at times, they cloud our way and obstruct our goals. Things can seem hard to discern and things that we thought were right are challenged by so many conflicting views.
What is the secret? It is that rod of iron that represents the little things that we do every single day. And we never let go.
Our prayers to our Heavenly Father, even on days we are not sure He is listening. Our scripture study, even when our kids are screaming at each other. Our home and visiting teaching. Going weekly to church, even when we could be doing something a lot more fun. God does not miss these things and He will come through for us.
But will we come through for Him? Not just for a day, or a week, or a month, or a year, or even several years. But will we come through with our whole souls and whole lives? It is not wasted. He says in Doctrine and Covenants 56:18, "But blessed are the poor who are poor in heart, whose hearts are broken, and whose spirits are contrite, for they shall see the kingdom of God coming in power and great glory unto their deliverance; for the fatness of the earth shall be theirs."
I believe it. I want it. But do I want it bad enough?
Thankfully we have Jesus to help us achieve these things despite our weakness. We can change and do better. Matthew 5:8 states, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."
That tree of life is there for every soul living on this planet. Some care. Some don't. I suppose to each their own when it comes down to it. But I want it. I hope I can stay strong enough to make it. I hope I can help my family, friends, and others I love get there. I realize that people have agency. They can choose. They need that right. But there is a better way, and it really does bring happiness. But we can't really know until we really try. Working in missionary work in my ward has been one of the greatest blessings of my life. Perhaps even equal to my full-time mission. It is heartbreaking at times to see people almost accept the gospel, or accept than fall away. I wish I could choose for them sometimes. But my testimony still stands that God lives. Jesus is our Savior and His church is on the earth at this time. I am grateful for that. Everything good in my life has come from the Tree of Life, which we know is equal to the "Love of God (1 Nephi 11:25)".

2 comments:

Jenna Marie said...

Great post Honey. :)

Nathan said...

I enjoyed reading your post Jeff!

I'll see you soon!