Anyway...
We had a birthday party for our nephew the other night and some of my friends from college were there. I served my mission with the husband's brother. According to what was reported the brother has "basically" left the church. We talked a little about it that night, but I thought about it more the next day while I was doing some yard work at my parent's house.

What does this have to do with seeds? Every idea in the world can grow. Good or bad. Alma gives a clue for what to look for, he says that truth is light. Which of course, would make things that are not true dark and confusing. I have noticed when some believe in something good, literature or people come around creating confusion. They create doubt. Some people say, "Well, if I am doubting maybe what this person says is right and I have been mislead." Then they research (usually the wrong material...) and decide they are not going to participate in the gospel anymore. They ended up feeding their seed of doubt and became full of it (um, doubt that is)...and their lives become dark and empty. We have all seen it, and, though they may accomplish many other good things in life, their lives really are fruitless in the spiritual sense.
I do not know all the answers to doubt. I know it is powerful and if we give it any place, kind of like weeds in a garden, it will take over and try to become our reality. I think the best answer I have found is to not allow the seed of doubt to have root. To kick it out as soon as possible, because if we nourish that seed until it is a tree...we are in trouble. Does that mean we go through life with a closed mind to all new ideas? I don't think so. But I think as soon as we can decide whether an idea is light or dark, we need to take action, either to ignore it, or nourish it. I picture Satan (cape flowing behind him with a mischievous grin on his face.) running through our garden with one of those fertilize spreaders. Except instead of fertilizer he is throwing out weed seed. We all know how fast weeds grow with just a little help. Doubt needs little help to flourish. Our quality seeds however take a lot of work and weeding to grow. Just like corn, tomatoes, or squash in a real garden.
We can choose to nourish whatever we want light or dark, truth or lie, we have agency. I have seen that any idea can be nourished and a person can believe in almost anything with all their hearts if they nourish it enough. But just because someone believes something doesn't make it true. We are given those keys in Alma 32, truth is light and peace of soul. So is the gospel, which encompasses all real (not just what some random person thinks) truth, and I think it would be naive to believe we can have ALL the answers here in this life. Which is why we follow the light and nourish the correct seeds.
We have to work actively to defend what we hold dear in life, so... if I am a person who wants to be faithful and keep my testimony of the gospel strong, I had better nourish my seed through scriptures, prayer, and service. Trees of light can wither just as a tree of doubt, they can also be kicked out if we allow too many weeds in our mind.
I guess I am blabbing on like this because I feel somewhat annoyed and sad when people toss out the corn and apricots to grow thistle and morning glory (who wouldn't want morning glory! I HATE morning glory...), just because a stupid idea crept in saying...what if? or what about? In other words, I think every one WANTS to do the right thing, doubt just likes to confuse us when we actually are already doing the right things. Once you know the character of the seed either keep it or kick it and move on doing the right things.
I have heard all sorts of arguments against the church and it's leaders, etc. Who cares? I have experienced the doubt that comes when having allowed these thoughts/arguments a little soil. I have learned that peace does not return until I get out in my "garden" and weed and replant the right seeds. I have an absolute testimony of the priesthood and miracles. I see the fruits in my life of trying to live what I believe. Life isn't perfect all the time, but I have felt real peace and comfort come from a priesthood blessing, spending time in the scriptures, or listening to a prophet's counsel or even sitting on my fanny pondering. It is not just a sedative. It is real. It is light. It's also not always easy!

My attitude lately about all these ideas floating around in the world is: I don't care how much people think they know or what their agendas are (people really do have agendas!). Every single person is prone to being wrong sometimes. So I guess God is really the only TRULY reliable source. We should clear up some confusion if we rely on Him and WAIT for his response...knowing it could come from a thought, person, scriptures, or maybe even some dumb TV show. The Lord does give comfort. But if we are like my son in the top picture...we may not recognize He is actually trying to help.
I guess our lifetime is a garden or an orchard. We are the gardeners. We choose the harvest. We exercise faith that things will grow and flourish, we work to show our faith. Quitting halfway does not help our garden grow (but it does help weeds grow!) Good trees and good crops along with faith, time, and effort bring forth good fruit and good vegetables. It's impossible to fake the harvest. Our lives will reflect our gardening, and the harvest will come and hopefully the Master of the Vineyard will be pleased.
2 comments:
I really wish I could put my thoughts down like you do Jeff. Thanks for a great post that made me think... :) I love you.
I really enjoy reading your posts. You have a very elegant yet straightforward way of expressing your point of view and I find it refreshing. It also reminds me a bit of Grandpa Elwood and the way he seemed to see things so clearly.
I've often wondered why people who know so much can be lead astray by doubts and you brought it to my attention that it is the easier path to do so, and those people who I know who have nourished the seeds of doubt have just stopped working on better things.
Post a Comment